Monday, November 19, 2012

Giving Thanks

Thanksgiving is just a few days away and in some ways it's really tough. As you know, we've been waiting a lot longer than we anticipated to become a family. While we love the holidays, we admit that it is a bit painful to face the prospect of another Thanksgiving and possibly even another Christmas without a baby girl or boy sharing our lives and the holidays with us. We were certain that 2012 would be the year for "pass the baby" at Thanksgiving dinner. We really looked forward to choosing at least one "Baby's first Christmas" ornament and enjoying Christmas lights with a little person. That said, it's a very special time of year and we don't want to lose sight of all the good in our lives just because we are looking for more. We look around us and know we are very lucky and there is plenty to appreciate. This post is about our gratitude this Thanksgiving, both as a couple and as individuals.

Together we are very grateful for all the good in our lives. We are so lucky to share our lives together. While we may not be rich in money, we are rich in love, safety, comfort, opportunity, knowledge, and experience. We are very fortunate that the resources necessary to pursue our dream of becoming a family through open adoption have come our way as we needed them. We are also blessed by literally hundreds of people who have lent their support to our adoption efforts. We appreciate everyone who has helped us along our journey and we are thankful for all the kindnesses that have been shared with us, both great and small. Some folks have been with us from the beginning, others have just recently come on board. There are many people who have liked us on Facebook whom we have never met, and others are among our oldest friends. All of you have made the hard times a bit easier and we thank you. 

We've each also been thinking about what we are particularly grateful for this Thanksgiving. Mitch says...

  • I am most grateful for my wonderful wife Susan. She is kind, smart, and loving, and she helps me be a better person than I ever could have been on my own. Anything I do, I would rather do with her. Anywhere I go, I would rather go with her. I consider myself very lucky to have her in my life, and I am more thankful for her presence than for anything else in the world. 
  • I am also grateful for the rich cultural scene on offer in Southern California. My life has been enriched beyond measure by the myriad of museums, libraries, theaters, zoos and festivals here. 
  • I have been able to enjoy all these things because of the excellent education I received. From elementary school to college, I had several teachers who fed and nurtured my sense of wonder and curiosity. I am particularly grateful for Mr. O’Malley, the principal at HB Lawrence Elementary School, Mr. Fitzgerald, my 9th grade History and Latin teacher, my 12th grade English teacher Ms. Jonkers, and Drs Walter Denny, Yvonne Haddad and Roland Sarti at the University of Massachusetts. 
  • I’m thankful for the many parks, trails, beaches, and open spaces here in Orange County and around the area. Outside is one of my favorite places, and the weather here makes it easy to go there. I’m glad I’m able to hike in the hills, explore the coast, and see it all from a big orange balloon. 
  • Lastly, I’m grateful for my wonderful wife Susan. I know I put her first on this list, but she’s the world to me, and she’s always in my heart, so I’m putting her on the list again. Anyone would be lucky to have someone as special in their lives. I hope you do, and I’m beyond grateful that I do. 

And Susan says...

  • I am so grateful for my husband Mitch, who is the most important person in my life. I am incredibly lucky we are together and share our lives. I am thankful every day for his unconditional love, the warmth of his enormous heart, and his kind, gentle spirit. 
  • I am thankful we have the opportunity to have a stable, healthy, comfortable life filled with love and many good things.
  • I am also thankful for the freedom to be myself and pursue my hopes and dreams. 
  • I appreciate all the lessons I've learned in life, both in and out of school. Some of them haven't been easy, but I am thankful for them nonetheless. I am lucky that many people have shared their wisdom with me throughout my life. I am grateful to all the people who have helped me grow and become a better person.
  • I am thankful for all the local adventures and fun experiences we've had during our wait. The wait will never be easy, but it's definitely better when I can see great works of art, take a good road trip, or be a kid again at Disneyland.

We wish you and yours the best this holiday season. Have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

  1. Love this: "we don't want to lose sight of all the good in our lives just because we are looking for more". Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The holidays can be so challenging while "waiting". We went through several holiday seasons of waiting for a child. There's a lot of emotion wrapped up during these times! I wish the best for you and hope your Thanksgiving brings lots of good times.

    ReplyDelete